Sunday, July 31, 2011

Haying Season

July has almost passed me up. Having the collectible antiquated collection of ranch equipment we have the beginning of haying season always seems to prove challenging. The swather broke a tooth then a belt. Fixed cut hay. The rake weld came undone, Fixed raked hay. The baler broke a gauge (soft bales). Fixed. The baler broke a little 1/4" guard not easily located. Fixed. Baler adjustment off. Fixed. Hay baled.  Stack wagon arguing but working. Swather pivoting around and around not so good. 3 days until dark fixed. Husband and I now know the manuel by heart and can take off drive chains , master links and sproket adjustments while in inches of thick gooey gear oil. All though most of the fixes and all the welding are done by the husband, when I get home we work together. Fresh eyes or talking through trouble shooting usually does the trick. It is hard to describe the complex feeling of having completed yet another trial together. The time spent head to head is actually very satisfying. I love to be a part of all things the knowledge I gain as he teaches me is so very valuable. Now the first crop is almost completed and looking at the stacks with a grin he tells me the hay looks pretty good this year. I see pride in his eyes and hear satisfaction in his voice. It is being able to see the end result that keeps you going. And a sense of humor that keeps the season bearable.

No comments:

Post a Comment